We’ll be having our annual Holiday Meetup on Wednesday, December 28 at 4:30 at Nubs Nob (in the Break Room – downstairs). Come see your sailing friends and look forward to a great summer 2017. We’ll have pizza and sodas for everyone.
Questions? (email President@littletraversailors.org)
See you there!
The entire LTS community was devastated to learn of last weekend’s tragedy involving one of our most active and involved families: Tim, Tricia, and Teddy Brown died when their plane crashed in Montana Saturday, September 17.
Teddy, age 13, was a beloved LTS sailor, always full of enthusiasm and kindness. We will miss him in the Mate Third group and during Bug racing — where he was always a sparkling presence. Tricia was an LTS alumni, spending summers in the program in the 1980s, and an active and enthusiastic volunteer with the program. Tim Brown was an avid sailor himself, and endlessly supportive of the Little Traverse Sailors mission and his children’s passionate pursuit of sailing.
They will all be greatly missed.
Our thoughts and wishes go out in particular to LTS Race Team member, Laser Fleet racer, and fixture of Harbor Springs sailing, Timmy Brown, who was at home in Harbor Springs at the time of the accident. The loss he has suffered is unimaginable. Timmy has the unqualified support of his teammates, LTS coaches and staff, and entire Harbor Springs sailing community. We hope that in the difficult days ahead, Timmy will know that Little Traverse Sailors — and the joy of sailing —will always be here for him.
Memorial services for Tim, Tricia, and Teddy Brown have been set as follows:
Visitation — Monday September 26, 2016
4:00 PM to 8:00 PM – Holy Childhood Catholic Church, Harbor Springs, MI
Funeral Mass — Tuesday September 27, 2016
11:00 AM – Holy Childhood Catholic Church, Harbor Springs, MI
The Brown family suggests memorials to Little Traverse Sailors (see our donation page, here) or the charity of your choice.
We’re thrilled to be honoring an individual who defines what Little Traverse Sailors is all about: Ann Wilderom.
She inspires our work every day, and we’re proud to have the opportunity to recognize her contributions. See here for more details.
The Little Traverse Sailors staff and Board of Directors have been hard at work since last August putting together what promises to be a terrific set of programs for Summer 2016. As we near our opening date of June 20, we wanted to outline our various programs and encourage everyone in the Harbor Springs sailing community to join in the fun, excitement, and learning of LTS 2016.
Learn to Sail (Youth Sailors from 8 to 18)
- Daily from June 20 to August 18.
- New and expanded fleet of 18 420s, 7 Lasers, 10 Bugs, 1 J/70
- Registration information here. Status: filling quickly.
Junior Race Team (Beginning Racers from 10 to 13)
- Coaching by Corinne Durochrer (LTS Race Team Coach) and other LTS coaches
- Daily training in 420s and Bugs
- Register as part of the Learn to Sail Program. Status: filling quickly.
Race Team (Junior Racers from 13 to 20)
- Coaching by Corinne Durochrer (LTS Race Team Coach) & Dan Thompson (LTS Director)
- Daily training in 420s, Lasers, J/70s, and big boats, weekly regattas (both home and travel)
- Registration and more information here. Status: one spot remains, applications closed May 15.
Adult Learn to Sail & Race (Adults from 18 and up)
- Thursday Nights 4:00-7:30 in LTS J/70s in the Harbor
- Expert training by Dan Thompson (LTS Director) and LTS staff
- A low-key and fun introduction to more advanced sailing and beginning racing.
- Registration and information here. Status: Oversubscribed, waitlists being used.
Bug Races (LTS Sailors from 8 to 13)
- Wednesdays, 5:00pm – 7:00pm
- Free, fun, and informal races in our Bugs right off the LTS dock — a great spectator event too!
- LTS staff and Race Team on hand to provide coaching and assistance. Status: free and open!
Lunch-N-Learn Program (Everyone who likes lunch!)
- Wednesdays at 12:00pm on the LTYC porch.
- A nautical-themed seminar series with presentations from LTS and LTYC experts.
- For more information: Lunch n Learn Page.
Dinghy Racing (all ages – racing in Lasers and 420s)
- Mondays and Wednesdays, first starts at 6:00pm near H mark in the Harbor.
- The biggest, most competitive, and most fun racing fleet in Northern Michigan!
- More information and to register: Dinghy Racing Page
Laser Clinic (all ages – Laser racers)
- Mondays, 4:00-6:00pm at LTS.
- Go-fast and be-smart Laser-specific coaching from LTS Race Coach Corinne Durochrer.
- More information and to register: Laser Clinic Page
Use LTS 420s for Dinghy Racing (all ages)
- LTS will offer free use of our LTS 420s to qualified sailing teams (2-persons) who want to race in the Dinghy Series
- Open to LTS families (at least two weeks of LTS in 2016) and LTS Donors (at least $250 in donations in 2016)
- More information: LTS 420 Program
[box type=”info” style=”rounded” border=”full”]As always if you have comments, questions, feedback or ideas about anything Little Traverse Sailors, feel free to contact our Director, Dan Thompson (Director@littletraversesailors.org).[/box]