[ last updated December 26, 2017 ]
Little Traverse Sailors is looking for a select group of talented and enthusiastic sailing instructors & coaches to join our Summer 2018 Staff!
This page outlines the hiring process and the job requirements. Scroll down for more.
Why work for LTS?
Spend most of the day outside, on the water, doing something you love, working with a great kids and families.
Work with a great team of fun, energetic co-workers.
Your workplace is one of the world’s most beautiful summertime locations.
Highly competitive compensation.
Opportunities to sail: use of LTS boats after hours, free entry in LTS racing programs, and more.
If this sounds appealing, then LTS is for you!
Hiring Policies & Staff Categories
LTS has several categories of employees. These are outlined below.
Regular LTS Staff & Coaches
- These are the traditional weekday ~9:30am to ~4:30pm jobs (e.g., about 30-36 hours a week). There is the expectation that you’ll also be available for evening and weekend work in LTS programs—such as Bug Races, Race Committee, Private Lessons, Adult Sailing, etc. (Evening and weekend work will be scheduled in advance and be paid overtime rates.)
- All regular LTS Staff and Coaches must have (at the time LTS begins on June 18, 2018) a current US Sailing Level 1 Instructors Certification or higher. This is an insurance requirement, and we need a copy of your certificate with your signed contract.
- Regular LTS Staff and Coaches must be at least 16 years old by June 1, 2018. We prefer 18 and above. In your first year on the LTS staff, you will be a classified as a Junior Instructor.
Morning LTS Staff / Coaches (for LTS Race Team members)
- We have a few opportunities for members of the LTS Race Team to work in the mornings.
- Like the Regular Staff, the Morning Staff must have their Level 1 (or higher) US Sailing Certification and be at least 16 years old.
- Morning Staff can also work evenings and weekends (Bug Racing, etc.).
Evening and Weekend Staff / Floaters
- Because LTS has so many evening and weekend opportunities (Bug Racing, Race Committee, Adult Sailing, Private Lessons, etc.), we have a few select positions available for instructors or coaches to work after 4:30pm and on the weekends only.
- Like the Regular Staff, the Evening and Weekend Staff must have their Level 1 (or higher) US Sailing Certification and be at least 16 years old.
- Sailors who are (1) at least 14 years old, (2) have completed the LTS learn-to-sail program (i.e., completed “Skipper”), and (3) have a recommendation from a member of the Senior Staff may apply to be a volunteer instructor (either mornings, afternoons, or both).
- Volunteer instructors are intended to be an opportunity for potential future LTS staff to learn how the program operates, and will be given a variety of opportunities for growth and development.
- This program is limited in scope.
- Preference will be given to members of the LTS Race Team who wish to volunteer in the mornings.
- A strong preference will be given to applicants who can commit to several weeks, and in any event at least a two-week commitment is required.
- Volunteer instructors are not required to have their US Sailing Level 1 Instructor Certification (though they are welcome to take the course). They are not paid, though they will be given a LTS Staff t-shirt.
Compensation & Contract
- LTS pays most employees (other than senior staff) on an hourly basis. The hourly rates vary from $9/hr to $15/hr depending on seniority and leadership position. After-hours work is generally paid at $20/hr.
- LTS employees are seasonal temporary employees. No health care or other benefits are provided. Required taxes will be deducted from your pay.
- LTS does not issue paychecks. Upon hiring you will be asked to set up a direct deposit into your checking account.
- All employees will be asked to sign an employment contract, which will be given to you upon the job offer.
The Application Process
- Each applicant must fill out the online application form linked below. The online form will create a PDF document which will be distributed to the Senior Staff. A copy will be emailed to you as well.
- We hope to have staff positions filled by mid-February 2018.
- We plan to have a few conference calls in March, April, and May to get everyone up to speed on the plans for Summer 2018.
If you have any questions or want to supplement your application, email Hiring@LittleTraverseSailors.org