Little Traverse Sailors is looking for a motivated, experienced coach to join our team for Summer 2015. The LTS Race Team comprises 15-20 students between 13 and 18, the team practices daily in 420s and Lasers, with occasional instruction on J/70s and bigger boats. The Team will travel locally and regionally to compete against other junior sailing programs, as well as host regattas at our home venue in Harbor Springs, Michigan.
In addition to coaching the Race Team in the afternoon, the Race Coach will assist in coaching the Introductory Race Team (students age 10-12, learning to race). In conjunction with the LTS Director, the Race Coach will plan the Team’s regatta schedule, and manage the logistics of getting sailors and equipment to and from regatta sites. The Race Coach will also work closely with the Head Instructor to ensure that the curriculum is being taught well and that LTS policies and procedures are being followed. The Race Coach will also be available as a point-of-contact for Race Team students and their families.
- Coaching and teaching sailors in the Race Team and Intro-Race Team;
- Assist the Director in planning regatta schedule;
- Manage travel logistics for sailors and equipment;
- Follow all LTS policies and procedures;
- Ensure that the LTS Racing fleet is properly maintained in safe working order;
- Communicate with the Race Team sailors, parents, and LTS Staff;
- Model appropriate behavior for LTS Staff, and sailors.
This position consists primarily of a ten-week summer from mid-June to mid-August. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience; accommodation or housing stipend may be available depending on a candidate’s needs.
- College sailing and/or two years of junior coaching experience;
- Ability to manage subordinates;
- Strong communication skills, with an ability to manage, and motivate, staff and students;
- Experience with boat maintenance and repair, including rigging;
- A strong passion for sailing and teaching;
- US Sailing Levels 1 and 2 Instructor Certified required (can be provided);
- CPR/First Aid Certified.
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Dan Thompson, Director of Little Traverse Sailors: email@example.com
About Little Traverse Sailors
Little Traverse Sailors, has operated continuously in Harbor Springs, Michigan for over 60 years, teaching youths and adults to sail and race. We are located on the waterfront of the Little Traverse Yacht Club, using a fleet of 420s, Lido 14s, Lasers, and Bugs. Approximately 45 students from ages 8 to 18 attend the program daily during the nine-week summer program, with adult and private teaching on some evenings.